- Digital Proxemics: How technology shapes the ways we move. (2016). Peter Lang.
- On the need for spaces for discourse in human communication and technology. (2019). Human Communication & Technology, 1, 18-21.
- Augmented Placemaking and community engagement: Exploring social media interaction in Brazoria County Rocks! (2019). Texas Speech Communication Journal, 43, 55-66. (with A. Jauregui).
- Strategic Approaches to Disability Disclosure on Social Media. (2016). Disability and Society 31 (10), 1353-1368. (with J. Furr & A. Carreiro).
- Twitter Chats as Third Places: Conceptualizing a digital gathering site. (2016). Social Media + Society, 2 (3), 1-9. (with A. White).
- User-Experience Design and Libraries: A Pathway to Innovation? (2015). Journal of Library Innovation, 6 (2), 60-73. (with V. J. Graham)
- Matching Instructors and Spaces of Learning: The impact of space on behavioral, affective, and cognitive learning. (2015). Journal of Learning Spaces 4 (1), 1-16.
- Altruism meets Participatory Video: A correlational study of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. (2015). Journal of Digital and Media Literacy,3 (1), 1-12.
- Rethinking the Classroom: One department’s attempt to connect student learning and national events. (2013). Journal of the Association for Communication Administration, 32 (2), 77-86.
- Exploring the relationship between student-instructor interaction on Twitter and student perceptions of teacher behaviors. (2012). International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 23 (3), 286-292. (with K. Bostedo-Conway)
- Practical Lessons from User-Experience Design for Spaces of Learning (2011). American Clearinghouse on Educational Facilities Journal, 2 (1), 65-77.
- Ballin’ on Burris: Coordinated Management of Meaning. (2011). Journal of Critical Incidents, 89-92. (with S. Cox. & B. Brooks)
- Connecting Assessment to Resource Allocation: A demonstration project at Queens University of Charlotte. (2011). Assessment Update 23 (4), 1-4. (with J. Slater & T. Burson)
- What Happened? Teaching attribution theory with ambiguous prompts (2011). Communication Teacher, 25 (1), 32-36.
- Composing Podcasts: Engaging ‘digital natives’ in the communication classroom (2009). Communication Teacher, 23 (1), 15-18.
- Digital Subculture: A geek meaning of style (2009). Journal of Communication Inquiry, 33 (1), 58-70.
- Review of Blogging for your Business: Byron & Broback, 2006 (2007). Business Communication Quarterly, 70 (3), 393-395.
- Placemaking and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial: An Exploration in User-experience Design (2018). In R.C. Aden (Ed.). US Public Memory, Rhetoric, and the National Mall. New York: Lexington Press.
- Libraries & User-Experience Design (2018). In D. R. Moore & E. C. Shoaf (Eds.), Planning Optimal Library Spaces: Principles, Processes, & Practices. Rowman & Littlefield.
- Family Trainer. (2017). In R. Meija, J. Banks, & A. Adams (Eds.). 100 Greatest Video Game Franchises. New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Voicing a Campus Icon: Twitter, a bronze goddess, and hyperlocal community engagement. (2012). In Community 2.0 – at the intersection of digital media and information design. CreateSpace.
- Digital Subculture: A geek meaning of style. In Rojek, C. (Ed.). (2011). Popular Music: Sage Benchmarks in Culture and Society. Sage.
- Mediated Group Communication. In J. Park & E. Abels (Eds.). (2010). Interpersonal Relations and Social Patterns in Communication Technologies: Discourse Norms, Language Structures and Cultural Variables. IGI-Global.
- On the need for spaces for discourse in human communication and technology. Paper presented at NCA National Convention, Baltimore, MD, November 2019.
- Digital Tools, our Human Environment, and the Augmentation of Play. Paper presented at NCA National Convention, Salt Lake City, Utah, November 2018.
- Toward a Theory of Brand-Event-Self Integration: A grounded theory analysis of #cowappreciationday on Instagram – with E. Hunt. Paper presented at NCA National Convention, Salt Lake City, Utah, November 2018.
- Social Media & Placemaking: Exploring community engagement through Brazoria County “ROCKS!” – with A. Jauregui. Paper presented at NCA National Convention, Dallas, TX, November 2017.
- Soul of the Nation: Vietnam Veterans Memorial & User-Experience Design. Roundtable Presenter at NCA National Convention, Dallas, TX, November 2017
- Strategic approaches to disability disclosure on social media. – with J. Furr & A. Carreiro. Paper presented at NCA National Convention, Philadelphia, PA, November 2016.
- Creating a community-generated archive: Digital tools for storing, citing, and sharing visual artifacts. Presented at the NCA National Convention, Las Vegas, NV, November 2015.
- Pedagogy & Innovation: Designing a learning experience with (or in spite of) social media. Presented at the NCA National Convention, Washington, DC, November 2013.
- Digital Cities: Urban community development through information design. Presented at the NCA National Convention, Orlando, FL, November 2012.
- Pedagogy, then Technology. Presented at the Teaching Professor Conference, Washington DC, June 2012.
- Exploring the relationship between student-instructor interaction on Twitter and student perceptions of teacher behaviors, with K. Bostedo-Conway. Presented at NCA National Convention, New Orleans, LA, November 2011.
- Voicing a Campus Icon: Twitter, a bronze goddess, and hyperlocal community engagement. Presented at NCA National Convention, New Orleans, LA, November 2011.
- A Month with Mashable: Bridging information content and media expression using Twitter. Presented at NCA National Convention, San Francisco, CA, November 2010.
- What Happened? Teaching Attributions through ambiguous prompts. GIFTS paper presented at NCA National Convention, Chicago, IL, November 2009. Top Ten GIFTS Paper & Top Three GIFTS Paper Related to Conference Theme.
- Instructional Proxemics: Creating a Place for Space in Instructional Communication. Presented in a Featured Panel at NCA National Convention, San Diego, CA, November 2008. NCA Grant Award.
- Teaching Tuckman’s Group Development with “Sister Act.” GIFTS paper presented at NCA National Convention, San Diego, CA, November 2008.
- Engaging Information Design: Re-considering the user’s experience. Presented at NCA National Convention, Chicago, IL, November 2007.
- Orality: The spoken word. Presented in panel – Perspectives on Information Design: Expanding User Experience Design – at Pop Culture Association/American Culture Association National Conference. Boston, MA, April 2007.
- Instructional Proxemics. Research Presentation presented at Research Network Forum of the Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC) Annual Meeting, New York City, NY, March 2007.
Industry White Papers:
- McArthur, J.A. (2018). Going Live: Adding nodes of synchronicity to asynchronous online learning. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Education Services.
- Planning for Strategic Communication: A Workbook for Applying Social Theory to Professional Practice (2014). [workbook to accompany Ihlen, van Ruler, & Fredriksson (2009)]
- Community 2.0 – at the intersection of digital media and information design. (2012). CreateSpace. [compendium of graduate student work].
- PokemonGo introduces us to augmented reality [Op-Ed]. (2016, July 22). The Greenville News.
- PokemonGo Silly? It has a beautiful side [Op-Ed]. (2016, July 18). Charlotte Observer.
- Museums Extend the Conversation [Op-Ed]. (2014, January 27). The Greenville News.
- Unusual Commencement Speech offers $100,000 through Flash Philanthropy [Column]. (2013, May 4). Social Media Education.
- Staying Current in Social Media Education [Column]. (2013, February 19). Social Media Education.
- The Election has Facebook Seeing Red – and Blue [Column]. (2012, November 6). Social Media Education.
- Experimenting with Pinterest in the College Classroom [Column]. (2012, September 17). Social Media Education.
- Queens students – and Charlotte – can go to school on DNC [Op-Ed]. (2012, July 13). The Charlotte Observer.
- Investing in Digital Literacy through Social Media [Column]. (2012, May 9). Social Media Education.
- Town Crier? Village Idiot? We wach have role in public space [Op-Ed]. (2011, Sept. 30).The Charlotte Observer.
- Share Your Own Memory [Op-Ed]. (2011, Sept. 9). The Greenville News.
- The Role of the Executive Officer in Higher Education Public Policy (2004). The Palmetto Practitioner: Issues in student affairs. Columbia, SC: SC College Personnel Association.
- Find a Mentor — Be a Mentor (2004). Campus Activities Programming Magazine. Columbia, SC: National Association of Campus Activities.
A comprehensive list of manuscripts in process, in submission, or under review are available by request.